Date: 13th October 2023
Location: Online Zoom Course
Time: 9:00am - 3:30pm with a 45 minute lunch break. There will also be several short breaks throughout the day to keep things fresh.
APST 1.5, APST 2.1, APST 2.5
Mastering the Essentials provides information and specific details on how to get the most out of our celebrated Fitzroy Readers Program. You will learn the fundamental principles behind phonics based learning using a system of decodeable readers and supporting materials. This means that you will never be short of ideas, no matter what educational environment you work in.
Areas covered include:
- Phonics: From the basics to the tricks and traps – including the things you may not know but need to.
- System and Structure: Why phonics is so successful. How to create a course that guarantees reading and writing success.
- First Letters: How to build letter-reading and -writing confidence and achieve long-term memory retention.
- Word Formation: Moving from letters to words. How to use games to accelerate reading and writing skills.
- Phonics in the Classroom: The dos and don’ts. Why phonics classes require phonics teaching methods.
- The Fitzroy Method: Specific tips for getting the most out of our literacy range, with emphasis on the first 40 Readers.
- The Psychology of a Classroom: Why some students struggle with any system and what to do about it.
- Evaluating Students: Tips for finding and correcting learning difficulties.
Jeremy O'Carroll has been the Fitzroy Method Director of Training for the past 10 years and has trained teachers and parents in many countries around the world, including Australia, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, India, Malaysia and Thailand. He is the author of the Fitzroy Readers 11X-20X, The Fitzroy Method Teacher’s Guide and Full Speed – a novel about having the courage to live your dreams. He has also lectured and tutored at the University of Melbourne.