(For course details, see below.)
Mastering the Essentials lets you in on the secrets that have consistently made Fitzroy Community School one of Australia’s top ranking primary schools. It is a map that will give you not just specific details on how to best use our celebrated educational materials, but also provide you with the fundamental principles behind everything we do. This means that you will never be short of ideas, no matter what educational environment you work in.
Areas covered include:
- Phonics: From the basics to the tricks and traps – including the things you may not know but need to.
- System and Structure: Why many literacy programmes can’t succeed. How to create a course that guarantees reading and writing success.
- First Letters: How to build letter-reading and -writing confidence and achieve long-term memory retention.
- Word Formation: Moving from letters to words. How to use games to accelerate reading and writing skills.
- Phonics in the Classroom: The dos and don’ts. Why phonics classes require phonics teaching methods.
- The Fitzroy Method: Specific tips for getting the most out of our literacy range, with emphasis on the first 40 Readers.
- The Psychology of a Classroom: Why some students struggle with any system and what to do about it.
- Evaluating Students: Tips for finding and correcting learning difficulties.
The Writing Course teaches a wide array of techniques and strategies to improve persuasive and creative writing. Filled with concrete examples and exercises, it will equip you with the writing know-how to transform the work of even your most challenged students.
Areas covered include:
- Using mind maps for a near-endless supply of ideas: accessing the power of whole-brain thinking.
- How to use three-step planning to get your persuasive writing pieces completed more quickly.
- Child-proof techniques to persuade even a reluctant student.
- How to work backwards to ensure a coherent argument – and keep kids on point!
- How to use concrete descriptions to inject life and tension into otherwise dull creative writing.
- Simple methods for eliminating unnecessary words that dilute the power of your students’ prose.
- The two keys to making boring dialogue interesting.
- How to use mind mapping to plot page-turning fiction.
- Choosing the right point-of-view to engage even the most cold-hearted reader.
Due to current circumstances, our in-house training has been moved online and will take place via Zoom on the same dates.
The presentation will commence at 9.15am AEST and run until 3.45pm, with a 40-min break for lunch. There will also be several short breaks throughout the day to keep things fresh.
All participants will receive a personalised digital certificate at the end of the course, and free access to the online course. (Note: the online Advanced Training course has 50% different course content to the in-house Writing Course.)
For any questions, or to enrol in a course:
Jeremy O'Carroll has been the Fitzroy Method Director of Training for the past 10 years and has trained teachers and parents in many countries around the world, including Australia, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, India, Malaysia and Thailand. He is the author of the Fitzroy Readers 11X-20X, The Fitzroy Method Teacher’s Guide and Full Speed – a novel about having the courage to live your dreams. He has also lectured and tutored at the University of Melbourne.